Thursday, February 24, 2011

first round!

Hi all!

Braden got through his first round of chemo today! It took about 6 hours, but now we're home, and so far, side-effect free! The day started out early and trafficy, but once we got to the hospital, everything was smooth sailing. The people at Mercy are amazing. All of the nurses we've interacted with have been incredibly kind and helpful.

Because this whole chemo thing is new to us, I wanted to describe how it went for all of you who, like us, have never experienced chemo close-up before. First off, the chemo room looks like the first-class section of an airplane -- all fancy recliners and personal TVs and funky equipment. We went to the back of the 7 chair room, because that's where all the cool kids sit. Our very kind nurse offered us breakfast, then we had an hour-or-so wait while they did a few tests, attached the port, and ordered up the chemo drugs. We were a little surprised at the wait, but were told that, for some inexplicable reason, these drugs are hideously expensive, they don't put together the doses until the patient is physically at the hospital and ready to begin. Praise the Lord for our insurance! I can't imagine being uninsured in our position. It really is criminal that so many people have to go without good medical care in our country (and...end rant here).

Once we were ready to go, they started out with an injection of anti-puking drugs, and a heavy dose of benadryl to prevent reactions. The benadryl got into Braden's system immediately, put him right to sleep, and made his legs all twitchy and dancy-like. This was the worst part of the day. We were both unprepared for his reaction to the benadryl, and it scared us both quite a bit! Now that we know what to expect, next time will be easier. After that, the rest of the truly toxic drugs held no problems at all. The only side-effect we are currently experiencing is that the A of the ABVD round turns urine bright red...which, if you think about it, is pretty awesome. How many of us secretly want multi-colored excretions? Maybe it's just me. Sorry.

Now Braden's zonked out on the couch, sleeping off the rest of the benadryl. We're as prepared as we know how to be for the next few days. We're both curious, and a little apprehensive, to see what side- effects come with time. We are prepared for all sorts of stomach yuckyness, but praying for the best!

Next post will include a picture of Braden with his shaved head! We thought it best to preemt any hair loss, so we cut his hair as short as we could last night using sewing scissors and a straight razor. Booya.

Thanks again for all of the amazing support and love we've received! We'll keep the updates coming!

~ Christy

1 comment:

  1. Everyone's experience with Chemo is slightly different I'm sure. I was not put to sleep. I never had any nausea, thanks to the meds given to prevent that. And I'm sure it will be the same for you. My hair loss didn't begin for several weeks into treatment, and it was gradual, with my husband doing the final shaving of my head. My beautician had kindly offered to do that for me, but Ed had no problem doing it himself. Within a few months into treatment, and given the o.k. for "time off" when I went to Sweden with my family for 10 days. My girls envied me for always having good-looking hair, as I traveled (my wig!) When I returned home, I resumed the treatments, tho given a much less potent drug for the final three weeks. As a mother in child-birth, I no longer remember all of the difficult details of that time in my life, but see it as almost a text-book case of treatment and cure. May you continiue to feel this optimism as well. Joanne Hollatz

    ReplyDelete